Six years ago, I went through a very scary time in my life. My OBGYN had diagnosed me with pre-cancer of the cervix. I felt really lost and didn’t know where to turn, My options for treatment were limited to painful procedures, biopsies, and surgery. I started to really study herbalism at this time as I was desperate to find a cure as well as keep my mind busy in order to keep my anxiety at bay. I found lots of wonderful and helpful information, I even made a friend from India who taught me about the health benefits of turmeric for treating cancer and other ailments. I started adding it to my soups, and rice regularly in order to benefit from its many beneficial properties. My story does end well by the way. I was able to make the pre-cancer go away and in the process, I discovered amazing foods I had never had the opportunity to try.
Turmeric is a popular and well-loved spice that can be grown and cultivated India, Asia, and Central America. The scientific names are listed as Curcuma Aromatica, Curcuma Domestica, and Curcuma Longa. Other more common names for this beloved spice are Indian Saffron, and The Golden Spice of Life. There is a rich history of its use in India for the past 2,500 years. It’s been around for a very long time and it’s not going away any time soon. In fact, with the rise of interest in herbal remedies, I’d say it is becoming more popular than ever. In this blog, I’d like to go over the various uses of turmeric to help heal the body.
The Benefits of Turmeric:
- Anti-inflammatory properties-from Alzheimers to cancerous brain tumors
- Prevention and treatment of cancerous tumors. Induces cancer cell death in brain cancer resistant to chemotherapy and radiation.
- Prostate Cancer- Topical use helps fight skin cancer, prevents, stops and slows its growth.
- Leukemia- Curcumin inhibits childhood leukemia cells.
- Multiple myeloma- Several different cells found in multiple myeloma are found to be sensitive to curcumin.
- Metastasis Prevention- Prevents the spread of cancer from its primary site of growth to other areas of the body.
- Enhances Chemotherapy- Cisplatin, a chemotherapy drug used in the treatment of many different types of cancers, work well with curcumin found in turmeric. It works to suppress tumors better than Cisplatin alone.
- Prevents Alziemers- There are low rates of Alzheimer’s in India among the elderly. Due to consumption of large amounts of turmeric in their diets.
- Eye Health- Curcumin may be able to treat some types of retinitis pigmentosa, a degenerative type of eye disease which causes blindness. Also may be helpful in treating macular degeneration.
- Weight Loss- It is a dynamic and very strong tool to fight obesity and its various symptoms. It causes resistance to leptin, insulin resistance is lowered, hypoglycemia reversed, inflammation is brought down in which fat genes are stored. Signals are sent to the brain to release and start burning fat stored in the body.
- Treats Skin Ailments: Turmeric is one of the herbs used to treat skin issues such as atopic eczema and atopic dermatitis. These are medical conditions marked by inflammation and irritation of the skin. Using turmeric in food and as a topical salve can help keep the skin conditions under control. It relieves symptoms with no side effects.
By now, I’m sure a lot of you are wanting to introduce or add more turmeric into your lives. Please be sure to check with your primary care physician if you are on any medications, as curcumin can interact with some medical treatments. Please go forth and experiment and learn more about Turmeric; stay tuned for my next blog about one of my favorite Turmeric recipes!
*We are a US-based blogging website located in Maine. We take pride in sharing knowledge with you! You can find us under the name ThymelyNaturalRemedies on Facebook, Youtube, and Instagram. Be sure to look us up and follow or subscribe to our various pages and channels! We look forward you joining us on this natural journey!
It is our goal to keep learning and sharing about natural remedies found within our foods, herbs, spices and other types of non-food remedies in order to spread information to better not only our lives but yours as well!
**Our website is intended for educational purposes. We are not doctors and cannot give medical advice. We are not liable for any health issues you may have from choosing to follow our suggestions. It is our research paired with personal experience that we share. Please consult your doctor or naturopathic physician before starting up a new health food regimen.
***Also, we work with Amazon Affiliates and may post links to products on Amazon. We will earn a percentage of any purchases you may make through our links. We are not responsible for your orders, so please do contact the seller on Amazon for info concerning shipping, customer complaints or questions.